If you are an aspiring entrepreneur or small business owner seeking to start, purchase or grow your business, VBOC can assist you by providing training assistance programs, workshops, business tools, resource referrals, tailored counseling and mentoring in-person and online.
Like any business, intel and resources will evolve over time, so check back for updated materials and new topics. If you don’t see what you need here, call us at 518-326-6328. We are honored to serve you!
If you are currently active duty and will be eligible for the Transition Assistance Program (TAP), whether separating or retiring out of the military, or if you are a military spouse or the widowed spouse of a military member, the VBOC encourages you to register to attend “Boots to Business”, the free TAP GPS 2-day entrepreneurship training class covering topics you need to consider before and as you start your business. Following the 2-day intro class, you will be eligible to enroll in the 8-week B2B instructor-led online training program, a deep dive on each of the modules by instructor and business experts to help you work on your own business plan.
Boots to Business Reboot is an eight-hour training program for veterans, service members and their spouses that provides a detailed overview of business ownership as a career path. Advisors offer participants valuable information on forming a business plan and help familiarize veteran entrepreneurs with public and private resources, as well as practical exercises in opportunity recognition.
After completing the B2B or B2BR training courses participants are eligible to further their study with an eight-week, instructor-led online course that offers in-depth instruction on the elements of a business plan and tips and techniques for starting a business.
- The SBA Learning Center – free, self-paced short courses on 60+ topics
- SBA Resource Guide NYC Edition
- SBA Resource Guide Syracuse Edition
- SBA Resource Guide NJ Edition
- Getting Veterans Back to Business, the SBA’s Small Business Resource Guide for Reservists
- Exploring Entrepreneurship
- Starting a Business in NJ
- Census.gov – a free source of market intel
- Buying An Existing Business – A Good Deal or a Dog?
- Choosing a Business Location & Equipment Decisions
- US Dept of Agriculture Veterans Programs
- NYS Startup Check List
- NJ Startup Check List
Government Contracting (State & Federal)
- Introduction to Government Contracting
- SBA Government Contracting Overview
- Capability Statement Template
- Sample Capability Statement
- Government Contracting Acronyms
- Determine Your NAICS code
- VetBiz Verification Assistance Program U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- APTAC – find your Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTACs) that provides expert Government Contracting help
SBA District Offices
130 S. Elmwood Avenue Suite 540
Rochester Branch Office
100 State Street Room 410
Locations: Buffalo | Rochester
Syracuse District Office
224 Harrison Street 5th Floor
Elmira Branch Office
333 E. Water Street 4th Floor
Albany Alternate Work Site
1 Computer Dr. So.
Phone: (518) 446-1118 x231
Locations: Syracuse | Elmira | Albany
New York District Office
26 Federal Plaza Suite 3100
New York, NY
Locations: New York | Hauppauge
New Jersey District Office
Two Gateway Center Suite 1501
The Arsenal Partnership’s Veterans Business Outreach Center is partially funded by the U.S. SBA’s Office of Veterans Business Development (OVBD). The OVBD exists to help veterans become full partners in economic development through small business ownership.
You can visit their website at www.sba.gov/offices/headquarters/ovbd.
Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.